Sunday, September 20, 2009

The frustrations of selling a house

Totally not scrap related....but I need to get this off my chest.

Our house, at 2601 Whiteberry Drive, in Lexington, KY is still for sale. It's been on the market for almost a year and there has been interest all along, but no offers! Sadly we never seem to get much feedback regarding why interested parties don't want to make an offer and that is one of the most frustrating points of selling a house. Honestly, we are getting to the point where it's becoming difficult to make ends meet. Our savings doesn't exist and I am just not sure how we'll manage if we have to continue shelling out mortgage money for a house we don't live in, rent money for teeny tiny apartment, and money for storing the stuff we can't fit into our teeny tiny apartment. I want to cry everytime I think about bills because we have so many and it's just more expensive to live in CT than it was to live in KY!

The puzzle pieces just didn't fall into place like we expected, errr....hoped. In October 2008 John was laid off from his job (the 2nd time in 5 years) and we then made the decision to put our house on the market and start thinking about moving back to Connecticut. The whole 6 years we were in KY I was able to work from home and maintain my job in CT, but if I were to be back in the office I knew I'd have some additional job security so John looked for a job in CT. In addition, Grandma and Grandpa live in PA and we weren't able to visit often enough in my opinion and I wanted them to be able to see Gabe more than 2 times a year in addition to my desire to see my siblings more than once a year. Anyway, after 9 months of looking John was offered an incredible job which he enjoys and is extremely happy to have landed, but our joy is over- shadowed by an immense amount of stress because of a vacant house that we loved living in,  but for some reason cannot get sold. We knew it would come down to our house selling and John not having a job offer OR John recieving a job offer and not having sold the house yet. Neither scenario was ideal but we thought John getting a job was the better of the two. Now we are wondering how different things would be if it happened the other way around...

I honestly wouldn't care if it was just me and John living in "limbo" and struggling to make ends meet, but Gabe is my main concern. I don't like not knowing when we will get a house and get settled. Yes, I'm sure he's fine where we are, but it's one of the little things I worry about among many others.

If you know of anyone who wants to buy this house, send me a message!

Country Page scrap kit by HarmonyStar


Julie said...

Hang in there Barb! :)

Jodi said...

It's such a beautiful house! I can't understand why it hasn't sold yet. I hope it gets sold soon.